Here is a winter favourite. Serve with hot thick slices of whole bread. Perfect for those nights in. The recipe has a lot of room for modification, add in whatever vegetable or legumes you have on hand. Recipe adapted from A Cozy Kitchen.
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cup of vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons of cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 small can of corn
- In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft. Add the red bell peppers, yellow bell peppers, zucchini, and jalapeño chili peppers. Cook for about 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and vegetable stock. Add spices: oregano, paprika, cumin and cayenne. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the white beans and kidney beans. Stir in the corn. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes.