It’s the first time I’m using soy yogurt to bake a cake, I usually use bananas, flax seeds and water or applesauce. Using soy yogurt makes for an incredibly fluffly batter that’s delicious-looking and amazing to look at. This recipe is adapted from have cake will travel.
Cake (6 in. round cake, 2.5 in. deep)
1 cup (240 g) plain or vanilla soy yogurt
1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Juice of 1 lemon + zest of one lemon
1 1/2 cups (185 g) all-purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Grease your cake pan with non-stick cooking spray. (It took mine 50 minutes to cook but check after 30-40 minutes with a toothpick)
- In a large bowl, whisk soy yogurt, sugar, oil, lemon juice, and zest.
- Sift flour and baking powder on top and stir until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Leave in pan for 1 hour on a cooling rack before attempting to remove. Chill overnight.
1/2 cup (60 g) powdered sugar
fresh lemon juice
- Mix sugar and droplets by droplets of lemon juice until extremely well blended. It should coat the spoon.Prepare just before decorating the cake so that the icing doesn’t harden.